Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Fast Learning, Norvigian Thinking

{

I was looking over Justice Gray's post on becoming a better developer in 6 months and noticed that he had listed Freidl's Mastering Regular Expressions as a one week reading project. I'll preface my comments by admitting I am not the quickest read - unless I'm reading something I don't particularly care about I tend to go it slow no matter what the subject matter.

However.

Not really thinking of connecting the dots I checked in on Jeff Freidl's blog and digging around saw it took him 2.5 years to complete the first edition of the book.

It strikes me as funny that there would be such a disparity in creation and consumption. Of course I may be slow - a big part of my wanting to learn Perl was the desire to have the capacity to "think" in regular expressions - but over the last few years as I've gotten better and better I find it hard to think I could compensate the little projects and tools I've written without the pain and grit of using what I read slowly.

But then again we can all rest assured that there's no rush.

}

1 comment:

Justice~! said...

I tend to be a little blessed with fast reading. That being said, I wish I was blessed with faster writing as my list of books sorely needs updating with reviews!!

Thanks for reading!