Sunday, November 23, 2008

How to steal time: On Programming and being a Father

{

It's been alluded to but here it is neither shaken nor stirred: I became a father exactly on month ago.  While it hasn't been without challenges the joy of being a father is something I understand now firsthand after being told or observing it in others. Even though I first was quite seduced by a "mystique" in programming - a nocturnal person drinking jolt with binary being reflected from mirror shades - I now realize not only that nearly every programmer and professional person I admire is a parent, but that they find their core of happiness in that well beyond the realm of work.

Nevertheless, I have been trying to keep up my personal work and interests so with that goal in mind I've adjusted my schedule to wake up as early as I can (usually 5am) and get a few hours of solid time while leaving the evenings as a time when I can help out and be a "family man."  It still doesn't feel natural but the payoff is that I can still advance my work with IronPython and other interests. It's already been pointed out to me that my productivity here and other places has dropped since my daughter was born.

So question for other programmer/dad people: how do you work the family schedule? Any tips and tricks for a one month father who is still daydreaming about what it was like to sleep all night?

}

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey, congratulations! Wow!